PERRYSBURG TOWNSHIP, Ohio, July 23, 2018 – Owens Community College is pleased to announce that the Findlay-area Campus Early Learning Center has received a 5-star Step Up to Quality rating from Ohio Job and Family Services for the second time. Less than 15 percent of full-time childcare centers serving toddlers through preschool have received this distinction.
The maximum number of stars that can be earned is five and the award is given for a three-year period of time, the Findlay-area Campus Early Learning Center earned this distinction for the first time in 2015. They are the only full day program in the city of Findlay with this rating.
Step Up To Quality (SUTQ) is a voluntary five–star quality rating system administered by the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services (ODJFS) and the Ohio Department of Education (ODE) that recognizes and promotes learning and development programs that meet quality benchmarks over and above minimum health and safety licensing standards. The steps are based on national research identifying the program standards that lead to improved outcomes for children.
At the 5-star program level, students benefit from:
- Lower teacher/child ratios
- Administrators and teachers have higher education qualifications
- Administrators and teachers complete more than 20 hours of specialized training every two years
- Teachers develop lesson plans that support each child’s growth
- Assessments are completed to evaluate and improve the learning experience
- Collaboration with families and community to provide more opportunities for children
For more information, please visit www.owens.edu/childcarefindlay.